Sunday, January 15, 2012

Are Pre-Nups Good or Bad



Are Pre-Nups Good or Bad

By Keith Bunn Jr.
January 15, 2012




When I was younger, I always thought a pre-nup was a good idea. I mean if you ever got a divorce, you didn’t lose your tail. But as I got older and learned more about this money stuff and how it affects relationships, it looks more and more like it’s not such a good idea. Now before I go any further, you should know that I have been through a divorce and it was no walk in the park. So I know that pain and I don’t wish it on anyone.
But the way I think about it now, it seems to me that if you get a pre-nup, it is like you are already planning your divorce before you are even married. Now there is only one time I would consider or advise someone to get a pre-nup and that is if you have a million dollar or more net worth, only because having that much money attracts crazy people. It may not be your fiancée who is the crazy one. It maybe be one of there family members and you have to protect yourself against that.
Now if you are on the other end of a pre-nup, make sure your fiancée doesn’t want one because they love their money or belongings more than you. If that is the case, you may want to reconsider marring them. In any case, if a pre-nup is suggested, this is a good time to talk about it. Why do they want one? What are both of your concerns? etc…
Whether or not a pre-nup is suggested, I highly recommend you both get pre-marital counseling. Either through your church or anywhere else you are both comfortable with. Money, kids, in-laws, and religion are the top subjects’ couples fight about the most. So if you can agree on those topics, the chances of you getting a divorce are almost zero and then there would be no need for a pre-nup.
 As with all my blog posts, and social media posts, I welcome any comments and feed back on the topics I write about. It is the only way you and I will learn more about our selves and each other, so ask away!


‎"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." - Proverbs 24:3-4 –

 

 

Checkout my website, Facebook, & Twitter pages as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment