Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dogs and Cats


Dogs and Cats

By Keith Bunn Jr.
June 3, 2012


For this week’s blog, I asked my daughter what should be my topic this week. She replied, “Cats”. Now I know in a sarcastic, Bunn sort of way, she was giving me a hard time. She knows I don’t like cats and I’m sure I get on her nerves a little talking to her about this money stuff. I asked her, “How do finances and cats fit together?” That was when my wife chimed in. She said, “What about talking about saving for pet emergencies?” So that’s what we’ll talk about this week…

We all know, pets get sick, suffer from allergies, or even get injured from time to time. That’s just how life works and if you don’t have money stashed away for these types of things, it could put a real dent in your finances. Just take what you think you pay over a year’s time for pet care and divide that by 12. Your answer is how much you should be putting away each month for their care. Now I know they have insurance out there to help pay for your pet’s visit to the vet, but it is my opinion that this is something you should self-insure through. A lot of people label “Pet Care” as part of their overall emergency fund. It is really up to you. We have 3 dogs and we just started a separate fund just for them. This fund can be used for trips to the vet or to the groomers. Their food, treats, or toys still fall under our “food” or groceries funding.

American’s spend thousands of dollars each year on their pets, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but we all need to do it wisely. The point is, you can fund this any way you want to. You just need to fund it. It’s good for your finances and your pets’ overall health and welfare.

I hope my posts inspire you to look at what you’re doing financially and because of it; possibly make some changes that will cause you to win financially. I also look forward to reading your views on any articles or postings that I may post. For more money facts and ideas, follow me on Facebook, or Twitter. Thanks you! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cavus-Financial-Coaching/120347681380181 , and https://twitter.com/#!/Cavuscoaching .


No comments:

Post a Comment