Monday, October 14, 2013

Trick or Treat, Smell my Feet...



Trick or Treat, Smell my Feet...

By Keith Bunn Jr.
October 14, 2013

Do you remember saying that as a kid? "Trick or Treat, Smell my Feet, Give me something Good to Eat!" Those were good times! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays of the year. I would normally go all out and buy a ton of decorations for both inside and out, but it seems like every year, Halloween gets more and more expensive. And with today's economy, it is estimated that consumers will spend slightly less then they did last year.

Second only to Christmas

But don't worry, Halloween is second only to Christmas in terms of spending on decorations, consumers are still estimated to spend tons of money on this holiday. According to the National Retail Federation (NRF), Americans will spend billions on Halloween this year. In fact, the President and CEO of the NRF, Matthew Shay stated, “(Halloween is) Still one of the most beloved and anticipated consumer holidays, Halloween will be far from a bust this year. After a long summer, the arrival of fall will put millions of Americans in the spirit to partake in traditional and festive activities. Retailers recognize that when it comes to Halloween, consumers’ creativity abounds. We expect retailers to stock their shelves with unique costume ideas for adults, children and pets, a variety of candy options and never-seen-before home and yard decor.”

You Don't have to Lose your Head

Or your cash for that matter, when it comes to Halloween spending this year or the next if you plan ahead. There are tons of great ideas all over the place when it comes to decoration that are not too expensive. The pumpkins, gourds, corn, & corn stalks can be bought this year, but if you save the seeds and dry them out, you can grow your new and unlimited supply next summer. Other decorations can be made out of simple scrap material you may have lying around your home. Years ago, we took some scrap wood and made tombstones.


With some specialty paint and a little time, we had a small cemetery in our front yard. I even took a broken skeleton decoration and stuck it into the ground and made it look like the dead was rising.
As for costumes, you could always make your own. Again, there are tons of ideas all over the place, and with a little imagination you can make your own awesome costumes for both adults and kids alike. So whether you go all out for Halloween or not, there are always cost cutting steps to save some cash and still have a great time on Halloween.

Share your ideas! 

If you have done something on Halloween that saved you some money, please share your ideas. I'd love to see photos and read about them. I'll even post them on my Facebook page to help others save some cash too!

The reason I do this, is to give people hope and to try to inspire others. To make people think about their finances, whether they are young or old, so they can win financially.
If you have any questions for me about my posts or if you need help learning how to live on less than you make and creating a budget, you can call me at (616) 454-2046 or e-mail me at cavuscoaching@gmail.com. I’d be happy to help! 
You can also find more money news, facts and ideas, on my Facebook and/or Twitter pages. I'd be grateful if you followed me. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment