Saturday, July 16, 2011

In the Beginning

In the Beginning

By Keith Bunn Jr.
July 17, 2011

On May 1st or 2nd, I posted my first blog on here not knowing what I was doing or what to except. After that posting, I e-mailed a bunch of family and friends and asked their opinion on what I had posted and how the page looked. Out of a bunch of people e-mailed, I only got a few responses, which was fine. I thought about what they had said and made changes where I agreed with what they had said. Or not if I disagreed.
There is a friend of mine that I served with in the Army that answered my inquiry. Even though I have made some changes he suggested, there was one I had to really think about and ultimately decide not to do. He had made the suggestion of not talking about religion in these blogs. Not that he’s an atheist or something like that, he’s not. He just thought it might be a turn off to some future readers.
I totally respected and understood his suggestion. You see, it wasn’t too long ago I was the person he was talking about. Whenever someone started to talk about religion, I’d either leave the room or respectfully stay and just nod my head like a bobble head. Then in 2007, my wife Julie drug me to a Dave Ramsey, Financial Peace University (FPU) free preview. I really didn’t want to go thinking it was some sort of “get rich” scheme, but I went anyway. I had lost my job and we were really sucking with our money. Needless to say we went and signed up to take the class.
As we were going along into the 13 week class, Dave would say stuff like, “credit cards are a rip off and debit cards can do everything a credit card can do.” or, “people will only save money when it becomes important.” And he was right! I have always believed credit cards were terrible and the only time I had ever saved any money was when I did think it was important, like going on a trip or something. But, then he would back all that up with scripture saying, “The rich rules over the poor and the borrower is slave to the lender.” Proverbs 22:7 or, “In the house of the wise there are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man will devour all he has” Proverbs 21:20. Those scriptures hit me like a ton of bricks! They made perfect sense! And I thought to myself, if I thought those were true, what else was in the bible that I was missing, that were also true?
So, sometime later we joined the White Cloud United Methodist Church and we also joined a 30 week bible study. That was the first time I ever owned or opened the bible to read it. It was a very long class, but it was well worth it. Between FPU and our church, my life has completely changed and I see now that God has always been in my life. I was just too blind to see it.
So it was this part of my life that made me decide to leave the religion part in my blogs. There are over 800 scriptures in the bible that deal with money and Jesus talked more about money than he did love in the New Testament.
So if what I post on my blogs helps someone with their finances, great. If what I post on my blogs starts someone down on their spiritual path and help them to have a better relationship with God, even better!

“Next time you hear a baby laugh or see an ocean wave, take note. Pause and listen as his Majesty whispers ever so gently, ‘I'm here.’ ”
-        Max Lucado –



Checkout my website, Facebook, & Twitter pages as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment