Sunday, July 24, 2011

Readers are always Winners!

Readers are always Winners!
 By Keith Bunn Jr.
July 24, 2011

Now I have to admit, I am not the best reader in the world. I’m a pretty slow reader, but when I was told that one way to be successful was to find out what successful people are doing and copy them. So when I learned that the average millionaire reads a non-fiction book a month, I started reading! 

I set out and found what some people I trusted were reading and this is what I found out… 

For spiritual, I have read Max Lucado’s books Fearless and Outliving your Life. Fearless is basically how to deal with the fears that inflect us in our everyday lives. It is where I came up with the “Why are you afraid” blog. Outliving your Life, is about doing something in your life today that affects people in a positive way, that will last and remain ongoing long after you have passed. These are both great books and I recommend them to anyone. 

For financial, anyone who knows me more than a day knows that would be anything from Dave Ramsey. I have read Financial Peace and the Total Money Makeover. There is also More than Enough and How to have More than Enough, which I haven’t read yet but are on my list to read. In Financial Peace, Dave discusses about how he became a millionaire by the age of 26 and then lost it all in bankruptcy and foreclosures. After a long and hard climb back to the top again, Dave shares what he learned about money and debt. As he has put it, “God’s and grandma’s ways of handling money.” The Total Money Makeover, is a more “how to” book about handling money. It introduces you to the baby steps which is a step by step plan on how to get out of debt, stay out of debt, and build wealth. Both are excellent reads and I highly recommend them to everyone. 

For leadership, I recommend anything and everything of John Maxwell’s books. I have only read 2 short reads, How Successful People Think and Make Today Count. My wife Julie has a book of his called, The Complete 101 Collection, which is a collection of 6 of John’s books. Attitude 101, Relationships 101, Equipping 101, Leadership 101, Mentoring 101, and Success 101. I have not read this book yet, but it is on my list to read. In his books, John shares how he has learned to be an effective leader in his many years as head pastor in the many churches he has served in. I have found his knowledge to be very inspiring. 

For business, I have read The E Myths by Michael Gerber and 48 Days to the Work you Love and No More Mondays, both by Dan Miller. Gerber’s book is about why small business’ fail and what you can do about it if you have a small business that maybe in trouble. 

In 48 Days to the Work You Love, Dan explains that you don’t need to hang on to that job you dread going to day after day, week after week. That there is no such thing as a ‘secure’ job and that no matter who you are, you can find a job and land it that best fits your skills, abilities, personality traits, values, dreams and passions, no matter you age, sex, back ground, or education levels. No More Mondays, Dan again touches bases on the 48 Days concept, but this book is more on the entrepreneur side of things. Thinking outside the box, what kind of business could you start up that best fits your personality, passions, values, and abilities and make a ton of money doing it. 

If you want to become some kind of ‘Coach’, financial coach, life coach, career coach, etc… a good book to read would be Become a Coach by Justin Lukasavige. In his book, Justin shares with you all kinds of tips and tricks of the trade, so to speak, on how he went from a commercial airline pilot to a financial coach to now a business coach. Great tips from a great book. All of these books are a must read. Especially if you are thinking about or are starting a small business. Now here’s a heads up. On September 22nd, Dave Ramsey’s new book, EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches will hit the store shelves. I have one pre-ordered to be shipped to my house on that date. I have been to Dave’s EntreLeadership one day event and it was awesome! In this book, Dave shares what he calls his ‘play book’ on how he started his business from a card table in his living room to a multi-million dollar company today. I can’t wait! 

Ok, I have just two more books to tell you about and then we’ll recap. The next book is Who Moved My Cheese? By Dr. Spencer Johnson. I know that’s a funny title for a book, and it even sounds like it could be a children’s book. Believe me, if you read it, it even reads like a children’s book, but I have to tell you, everyone who is reading this blog NEEDS to read this book! Because American, your ‘Cheese’ has been moved!! 

Last one. It’s called Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Levinson. Now I have to admit, I haven’t read this book yet, but it is sitting on my book shelf, waiting in turn to be read. It is about “Easy and inexpensive strategies for making big profits from your small business”. I have heard nothing but good things about this book and I can’t wait to read it. 

Now, Lets recap… 

For spiritual 

I recommend Fearless and Outliving your Life. Fearless by Max Lucado. 

For financial 

I recommend Financial Peace, the Total Money Makeover, More than Enough and How to have More than Enough by Dave Ramsey. 

For leadership 

I recommend How Successful People Think, Make Today Count, and The Complete 101 Collection by John Maxwell. 

For business 

I recommend The E Myths by Michael Gerber, 48 Days to the Work you Love and No More Mondays, both by Dan Miller, Become a Coach by Justin Lukasavige, Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Levinson, and in book stores September 22nd, EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches by Dave Ramsey. 

For dealing with change 

I recommend Who Moved My Cheese? by Dr. Spencer Johnson. 

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Suess – 

Checkout my website, Facebook, & Twitter pages as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment