Sunday, October 7, 2012

“I Don’t Have the Time”


“I Don’t Have the Time”


By Keith Bunn Jr.
October 7, 2012

Americans, we love our TVs don’t we? And we all have our favorite shows. I mean from sports to drama, to documentaries and sci fi, there is a show for everyone. For me, I like some of everything and I have my share of shows programmed to record on our DVR. 

As a kid growing up, we didn't have all the channels like we do today and no DVRs or VCRs either (VCRs came later in my teens). We had 3 channels at worst, 5 at best, and I have to tell you, TV watching has controlled most of my life. I have come to realize over the past few years that I watch A LOT of TV and it has robbed me of some precious time. Time that I can never get back. Time that I could have used to better myself in a bunch of ways. And it is this is the kind of behavior we are passing on to our kids. This is what I mean.

According to a survey done in the first quarter of 2012, by the Nielsen Company, which uses the Nielsen rating system to measure the audience size and composition of TV programming here in the U.S., Americans watch more than 34 hours a week watching unrecorded shows and another three to six more hours watching recorded shows. That’s a whole other work week just sitting there being absolutely nonproductive.
 
Now I don’t want you to get me wrong. In no way shape or form do I think watching TV is evil and I’m surely not telling you to stop watch it. I’m just saying that there are better things to do with just half of that time that is more productive and could better your lives in the process. What could you do with 20 extra hours a week that was more productive?

• Do a Budget: You knew that one was coming. Doing a budget can not only help you better your finances, but also, if you’re married, it can help with communicating with your spouse. And most people feel like they got a raise when they do one for the first time.

• Work: In the book “Debt Free U” by Zac Bissonnette, Zac’s research shows that if a student works just 20 hours a week while going to college, they will be able to pay for the in state school tuition without going into debt to do it.

• Read: Pick up a book and read it. Studies have shown that the average millionaire reads a non-fiction book a month, but it really doesn't matter what kind you read. Readers are always winners.

• Spend time with your Family: Sitting in front of the TV with your family for 20 hours or more is not really quality time spent with your family. You could go to sporting events, on picnics, play board games, etc… Quality time. 

• Overtime: Work some overtime to help pay down debts or save for something big that you would normally go on your credit cards. One month I worked 100 hours in just overtime. 260 hours total and I’m still here. 20 hours extra a week won’t kill you.

• Get in shape: A good portion of us (myself included) could use a little more activities in our live to improve our health. Even though going to the gym is a good idea, you don’t always have to do that to get in shape. Walking, jogging, and bike riding are all good for you and for most people, it’s free! 

These are just a few ideas I came up with, I’m sure there are a bunch more you can think of. Just be mindful of how you’re spending your time. Time management is like money management. The more you manage, the more you’ll have!

Questions

• How much extra time could you have per week if you cut your TV watching time in half? 

• Out of the examples above, which ones do you think you would be willing to do?

• How many more examples can you come up with to spend your time more wisely?

I hope my posts inspire you to look at what you’re doing financially and if needed, make some changes that will cause you to win financially. I also look forward to reading your views on any articles or postings that I may post. For more money news, facts and ideas, follow me on  Facebook, or Twitter  Thanks you!

No comments:

Post a Comment