Monday, July 22, 2013

What do you Tithe on, the Gross or Net?


What do you Tithe on, the Gross or Net?

By Keith Bunn Jr.
July 22, 2013

Whether or not someone should give a tithe, a tenth of their increase or income, has been a huge debate for years and years. If you follow the Christian or Jewish faith, you know the bible tells us to "Bring you all the tithes into the storehouse" Malachi 3:10. But there have been some people who have said to me that giving to the church (in general) is a waste of money. I disagree, and here's why.

Why does God want us to Give?

God doesn't want us to give because He needs our money. Give me a break, He's God! He wants us to give because it makes us more like Him, "So God created mankind in his own image." Genesis 1:27 and I think we could all agree that He is an unbelievable giver! "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son." John 3:16
He also wants us to give because it takes the focus off us and on to others who maybe in need. In fact, God Himself has told us to test Him on this fact in the rest of Malachi 3:10. "Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."
I'm telling you, I have heard more people tell me that when they tithed when they didn't think they could afford it, something happened with there income and all of a sudden their income increased in some way. I've actually heard a pastor say when that happens, it is because we started using Spiritual Mathematics.

What do we Tithe on, the Gross or the Net?

Sadly, only around 3% of Evangelical Christians give a tithe of any amount, either from the gross or the net incomes, so what does it matter? Just give. 
Now I need to make something very clear... This is NOT a salvation issue. You are not going to heaven if you do give and you're not going to hell if you don't. God loves us whether we tithe or not. As long as you give from the heart, that's all that matters to God, "for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7.

The reason I do this is to give people hope and to try to inspire others. To make them think about their finances, whether they are young or old, so they can win financially.
If you have any questions for me about my posts or about your finances, you can call me at (616) 454-2046 or e-mail me at cavuscoaching@gmail.com. You can also find more money news, facts and ideas, on my Facebook and/or Twitter pages. I'd be grateful if you followed me. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment