Monday, August 26, 2013

There is no Shame if You've Made Mistakes


There is no Shame if You've Made Mistakes

By Keith Bunn Jr.
August 26, 2013

Facebook

I love having people ask me questions about finances, both in person and on social media and this week was no different. Just the other day, someone on my Cavus Facebook page asked me, "What are some of the stupid things you've done with money?"

Stupid Things I've Done

Well, I have quite a list! The first thing that comes to mind is the house I bought in Georgia. I had just gotten married to my then wife (now ex) and re-enlisted into the Army. I went down to Georgia ahead of everyone and was trying to find place to live off post. To make a long story short, I had no clue what I was doing and I didn't have my spouse there to give me her input. I was doing everything by myself and I made HUGE mistakes! I took out a VA loan which was an adjustable rate mortgage. 
If I could do things over, I would have never bought a house in the first place because I was in the military, let alone buy one with a VA loan on an adjustable rate mortgage. I would have just rented until I was out of the Army.
The second thing I did that was stupid was I bought cars with loans. On top of that, whenever the cars broke down, I didn't have an emergency fund in place to help fix the cars, so I had a car crisis and a money crisis all at the same time. Really dumb on my part!
Another thing I did was I always bought stuff on impulse and some of it was on payments, I never had a plan for my money and when people live their lives that way, life always seems to get out of control and take you by surprise. I was no exception!
I could go on and on, but I will finish with this last stupid thing I did. I never lived on a budget until the beginning of 2007. And to tell you the truth, God sure must have been watching over me to have me come out of my stupid world as unscathed as I did. I know that doesn't happen to everyone, but it did with me. 
People, you have to have a monthy budget each and every month. I don't care who you are, what your job is or what you make a year. If you don't do a monthly budget every month, you will always struggle with money, period!

Don't be Ashamed

Now if you've done stupid things with money, there's no shame in that. That just makes you human! The only thing that makes it shameful is if you don't do anything about it, meaning, If you know your finances are bad, learn how to make them better. Read a book, take a class, talk to someone you trust who knows more about this subject than you. Do something! Because if you keep doing what you've been doing, you always going to get what you've been getting.

The reason I do this is to give people hope and to try to inspire others. To make them think about their finances, whether they are young or old, so they can win financially.
If you have any questions for me about my posts or if you need help learning how to live on less than you make and creating a budget, you can call me at (616) 454-2046 or e-mail me at cavuscoaching@gmail.com. I’d be happy to do what I can to help! 
You can also find more money news, facts and ideas, on my Facebook and/or Twitter pages. I'd be grateful if you followed me. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment