Monday, November 25, 2013

Steward & Stewardship



Steward & Stewardship

By Keith Bunn Jr.
November 25, 2013

I don't know about your church, but once a year our church has what is called a "Stewardship Series". It is at this time our pastor and other church leaders talk about and teach our congregation about what the bible says about giving and that we should give a Tithe to our church. 
What is a tithe? A tithe (or 10% of our income) is what we Christians are asked to give back to God. "Bring the whole tithe into my house - and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it." Malachi 3:10.

The Real Meaning to the Word "Steward"

Unfortunately, when a lot of churches say Stewardship Drives or Campaigns, it normally means that they want your money to do some sort of ministry the church is involved with. So when most people hear the word stewardship, they really hear "Fund Raiser" and that couldn't be further from the truth of what that word means. 
Stewardship or Steward is nothing more than being a Manager for someone else's stuff. That's all. So when the bible talks about being a good steward to God, it really means that you and I, or someone, is to be a good Manager of all God's stuff. "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it." Psalms 24:1.

So What Does That Mean?

So, because everything on our planet is God's, and we are all supposed to be good stewards for God, then we should manage God's stuff, God's way. And that also means we should give our tithe or 10% like God tells us to. 
Why, do you ask? Because "... For God made human beings in his own image. ..." Genesis 9:6. So if we are made in God's image and He gave is only Son to die for our sins! "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32. Then in every single one of us is, woven in, a giver.
God also wants us to give because it takes the focus off us and puts it on others. Taking us from being selfish to selfless. Giving also reminds us that the time and/or money we give is not ours, we are just managing it for God.

I hope I explained this well enough that you could understand what a steward really is. I'd also like to take this time and wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. If you are traveling, please be safe!

The reason I write this blog, is to give people hope and to try to inspire others. To make people think about their finances, whether they are young or old, so they can win financially.
If you have any questions for me about my posts or if you need help learning how to live on less than you make and/or creating a budget, you can call me at (616) 454-2046 or e-mail me at cavuscoaching@gmail.com. I’d be happy to help! 
You can also find more money news, facts and ideas, on my Facebook and/or Twitter pages. I'd be grateful if you followed me. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment