Monday, December 2, 2013

What Would You do if You Lost $18,000?



What Would You do if You Lost $18,000?

By Keith Bunn Jr.
December 2, 2013

What would you do if you lost $18,000? Would you cry? Would you be angry? Or all the above? Believe me, that is exactly what Julie and I felt when we lost that. Let me explain what happened...

Two years ago, Julie and I moved closer to our jobs. We were both traveling about 2 hours each round trip and using a quarter of a tank of gas per car, per round trip. So needless to say, the amount we were paying in gas, not to mention the wear and tear on the cars were costly. So we moved. It seemed like the best solution to our problem. But after some time, Julie lost her job she had been working in for over 20 years. It was like the rug was pulled out from underneath her. But after the tears dried up and the anger subsided, she got busy filling out applications, taking tests, going to interviews, and after weeks and weeks of hard work, she got the job she has today.

Now when all the dust settled, Julie figured out what the difference was from what she was making and what she's making now and it came out to be $18,000 a year less. Now I don't care who you are, that's a lot of money!
But before we even knew what the difference was, we had an Emergency Budget Meeting. We decided that with some saving we had, we would pay off some of our debt early & the rest of the saving, plus my paychecks, unemployment, and tightening our budget even further, we could make it until she found a decent job.

Fast forward to today, I can happily tell you that we are doing fine. We are still paying all our bills, paying down on our one and only debt, and still able to pay for Christmas with cash
I have to tell you though, if we would have gone into Pitty Party Mode instead of Emergency Mode, like a lot of people do in this situation, we would have been seriously hurting financially by now.

I'm telling you all this because I know we aren't the only ones who have been in this situation. You can survive this at any time of the year. Even if you went into Pitty Party Mode, you can turn things around! You can do it!! With help, guidance, and prayer, you can do anything!! I know you can because if we (Mr. & Mrs. Spend A Lot) could do it, you can too.

The reason I write this blog, is to give people hope and to try to inspire others. To make people think about their finances, whether they are young or old, so they can win financially.
If you have any questions for me about my posts or if you need help learning how to live on less than you make and/or creating a budget, you can call me at (616) 454-2046 or e-mail me at cavuscoaching@gmail.com. I’d be happy to help! 
You can also find more money news, facts and ideas, on my Facebook and/or Twitter pages. I'd be grateful if you followed me. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment