Sunday, June 12, 2011

Who’s your mentor?

Who’s your mentor?

By Keith Bunn Jr.
June 12, 2011

Mentors are those that guide us or show us the way things are done. Whether it is in business, sports, school, etc… They can be of any race, sex, or age. We all know this, but did you know that you can have more than one and that they don’t have to mentor us on a one on one bases? I have several mentors now and I’ve only met one face to face, just long enough to shake his hand at one of his speaking engagements my wife and I volunteered at one year. The rest have mentored me through the books I read, audio books and free podcasts I listen to on my iPod while traveling back and forth to work (about 45 min. each way) and while at work.
You are never too old to have a mentor and certainly never too young. As I mentioned in the Time Machine  blog, we all need to continue to read and learn. And just because you have read or listened to what your mentor(s) have to say once, doesn’t mean you can’t learn from that material over and over again. How many times have you sat and watched a movie or TV show that you’ve seen before and said, “I don’t remember that scene.”  It is the same way with the books and other learning material you may have. The more you go over that material the more you’ll learn from it. Repetition matters! So I encourage you to find the kinds of material you want to learn from and go over them again and again. Highlight the parts in the books that standout to you and share this knowledge with everyone you know. You never know, you may be able to help or inspire someone else.

  ‎"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." 

- Proverbs 24:3-4 –

 

“Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve.  - Mary Kay Ash –

For comments or question, connect with me on Facebook at facebook.com/keithbunnjr, on Twitter @cavuscoaching, or cavuscoaching@gmail.com

1 comment: